We are seeking a highly motivated graduate student, postdoctoral fellow, or research scientist. Please click HERE for a detailed job description and our research highlights.
- For detail on any of these news items click here
- For information regarding Merkel cell carcinoma research and patient care click here.
- July, 2015 – Dr. Kawasumi did a nice job of outreach to the FHCRC News Service: See article here.
- April, 2015 – Drs. Nghiem and Kawasumi will lead a new, 5-year NIH R01 grant entitled "Mechanisms of UV-induced DNA damage responses and carcinogenesis in skin."
- March, 2015 – Erica Shantha has Matched in Dermatology!
- March, 2015 – Masaoki Kawasumi is co-organizing the 3rd Seattle Genetic Instability and Cancer Symposium to be held on June 15, 2015.
- February, 2015 – Kaifeng Hung (a PhD candidate in Oral Biology) successfully completed his Doctoral Dissertation Defense. "Distinct effects of the two major types of UV-induced DNA lesions on DNA damage responses"
- December, 2014 – Masaoki Kawasumi gave a talk at the UW Dermatology Grand Rounds. "Caffeine as a tool to better understand and inhibit UV-induced skin cancers"
- October, 2014 – Masaoki Kawasumi's paper on small-molecule screening for novel ATR pathway inhibitors was published online in Cancer Research. "Identification of ATR-Chk1 pathway inhibitors that selectively target p53-deficient cells without directly suppressing ATR catalytic activity"
- April 4, 2013 - Olga Afanasiev presented her dissertation, titled "Merkel cell polyomavirus-specific T cell responses, immune evasion mechanisms & immune therapy in Merkel cell carcinoma" to an enthusiastic audience. This work has resulted in 8 original publications (4 first/co-first author, 4 contributing author), and 3 reviews/chapters.
- March, 2013 – Masaoki Kawasumi received a Dermatology Foundation Research Career Development Award (three-year support).
- November 7, 2013 - Dr. Nghiem was honored to deliver the 38th MH Samitz Lectureship at University of Pennsylvania. See PDF of program here.
- September 13, 2012 - Dr. Nghiem receives the American Cancer Society Legacy & Leadership Award: Find Cures Award. Legacy & Leadership Celebration
- March 29, 2012 - Dr. Nghiem was honored at an event celebrating his selection as the first Michael Piepkorn Endowed Chair in Dermatology Research chair holder.
We gratefully acknowledge our funding sources: